Tuesday, November 11, 2008

THE BEST TUESDAY EVER

Normally, tuesdays aren't good for me. I have both an 8am and a 3 hour long night class, along with a regular class during the day. I also usually spend most of my day reading and doing homework. Let's just say the HIGHLIGHT of my tuesday is the fact that Law and Order SVU comes on (which i'm currently missing right now).
NOT TODAY HOWEVER!

The fact that i couldn't fall asleep last night (again) was made better by the fact that my 8am was CANCELED!!! Giving me yet another day to prepare for the exam i missed last week (eek what a mess) and the chance to sleep in until 11. When i woke up, i was pleased to discover that my food baby from last night was gone.

Spanish, was spanish. Who cares about that class. I then went to Shafer as usual and they had a BAKED POTATOE BAR!! AND IT WAS AMAZING!! i got cheese, broccoli, chillie, and bacon on mine. And it was good. The mac n cheese was all right too. Came home, typed some emails, took a nap, did some homework, and debated skipping my night class to go to STRUT workshop.

THANK GOD I WENT!! It was the coolest class EV-ER.

My teacher brought in 6 guys who are recovering addicts, currently in residential treatment at Rubicon. We were broken up into 3 smaller groups and got to talk to them and hear their stories and advice and it was INCREDIBLE. One of them is a VCU student! In the social work program! It was truly an amazing experience, and i was lucky that i got to experience it. I was so excited i could barely stay seated.
I already pretty much knew that was the population i wanted to work with. However this really set it in stone for me. I'm interested in criminal and abnormal psychology and all that stuff, but what i really want to do is help people. If you know me well enough, you can probably guess that personal experience has helped to direct me to this path. And if you don't know what i'm talking about and are curious, ask me sometime. But this pretty much made me decide i want to be an addiction counseler. I know they make shit money (unless you're Dr. Drew, my hero) but i don't see addicts as some guy homeless on the street. They weren't always like that. You never know what backround an addict has, where they came from, how they got there, or why. You find them in the most suprising places. Hell, you could know one right now and not have any sort of idea. But i don't see them as some loser crack head, rather a friend, sister, brother, mother, father, aunt, uncle, lawyer, doctor, student, mechanic, nurse WHATEVER. Because that's who they are.
And i know i can do this, even more i WANT to do this.


And that's why today is the best tuesday ever.

No comments: